Tuesday, September 16, 2008

the curves of Ellora

We had a trip to the Ellora caves this weekend. No need to say it was amazing... One thought kept coming to my mind seeing those sculptures. Who were these men who could so reveal the beauty of a human body! According to me, Ellora is not about hinduism, buddhism, or any of the stories of Gods that the caves tell. It is about the art of creating sculptures that could speak beauty, both in the expression of face, and more so in the curves of a body.

1 comment:

s.a said...

I couldn't agree more. I do not understand the religious significance of these sculptures -- but surely imagining how they would have done it, working top-down carving that way, for so many years and so many generations, definitely makes me wonder in awe.

Wish I could have been there then to see it all for myself. Although, I may not have valued it as much then perhaps b'coz everyone around me would have been doing exactly that!!