Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Why to not not start a startup

Like many others, probably..., I have read Paul Graham's essays on start-ups many times, and felt blood rushing through my veins, always. Today, I made an attempt to evaluate my doubts while reading "Why to not not start a startup". Here is an account of whether or not I think following is a doubt point for me:

1. Too young
Not really... I have gone thru a 2 year MTech and worked for 3 years in a regular company. Infact, sometimes I feel I am too old for this.

2. Too inexperienced
Somewhat yes. I think I have worked for a regular company for some time to gain some insight on how things work, but certainly I am inexperienced in taking up new tasks on my own, deciding things and manage my own time..., but that probably won't come unless I actually start something.

3. Not determined enough

Hmmm, there is not a certain way of evaluating this. Your determination gets evaluated only when you are actually on to something.

4. Not smart enough
Yes. That's a real doubt :-|. But what Paul Graham's says about this is really inspiring:
"If you're smart enough to worry that you might not be smart enough to start a startup, you probably are." :)

5. Know nothing about business
Yes. That's another one. But I'm somehow not really worried about this one... May be after seeing so amny successful startups started by techies... may be they knew more about business that I do, but I doubt if they knew that before starting the company...

6. No cofounder
Yes. That's a major one. And, the reasons are exactly what Graham states. Have been in a regular job for long, lost contact with people who want to ditch and can afford to do that..., and ofcourse would like to do that with me... My husband is there, but he cannot afford to not earn ;)

7. No idea
Yes. Another one. But I think... solvable.

8. No room for more startups
Hmmm, no, don't think so...

9. Family to support
No.

10. Independently wealthy
NO!

11. Not ready for commitment
Not really... I mean may be a problem later... but now... manageable.

12. Need for structure
Not at all! Infact, its the reverse... I hate a structure or a routine in life, and that has been my main pain point about a 9 to 6 job.

13. Fear of uncertainty
Again, no.

14. Don't realize what you're avoiding
A big NO!

15. Parents want you to be a doctor
Nothing like that...

16. A job is the default
Yeah, I guess that's what has lead us all to a job...

So, in summary, I think I am in job because it's the default thing to do when I am a little inexperienced, probably not smart enough..., know nothing about business, don't have a co-founder, and don't have an idea!


4 comments:

s.a said...

hmm.. interesting points to consider. best thing abt it all is that u r thinking abt it. so i feel u really _want_ to do it. aks and vij are doing it already... u talked to them lately?

personally, i just do not understand what makes a person want to start a startup. and i mean it in a good way. i may be more interested in working at one of them than starting it. ;) i wonder what Paul Graham says abt that... probably, i am not the kinda person he's talking to! :)

Unknown said...

Name please? :) You are somebody from KReSIT I guess... but... "s.a" is not enough!

s.a said...

name's anusha... "s" anusha!! ;) i thought u knew!

Unknown said...

Ok, so the actual reply...
I myself cannot imagine that a person might not want to own a company... for me, it is like the ultimate dream. I can't even remember since when it has been that (mere bachpan ki icha :)). And, now, I have even realized that for me, the mode I am working in (working for my own company, or working for somebody else) is more important than what exactly I am working on! This realization came pretty late... but luckily has :)