Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Truly cosmopolitan

Somebody asked me some days back - "Where are you from?" After a significant deliberation over the question I replied - "What do you mean...?"
That I am an Indian, he obviously knows, it was difficult to zoom in further. My father is from Agra, U.P. My mother's father is from Agra too. But my mother was brought up in Cochin, Kerala. I was born and brought up in Sriganganagar, Rajasthan. My parents currently stay in Jaipur, Rajasthan. I am married to a Bombayite, and my in-laws are Maharastrians staying in Mumbai. So, probably the closest answer is Rajasthan... but then I cannot really call myself a "Rajasthani". Most of my older relatives (my grandparents etc.) stay in Agra and have a U.P accent. So probably U.P is closer. But then I don't have any specific accent. And, I do not associate culturally either to U.P., Rajasthan, or Maharashtra. I know only English and Hindi and none of local dialects.
Perhaps, like many of today's generation and cities, I am cosmopolitan too :)

No comments: